Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding illegal dyeing factories in Delhi, 14/09/2020
Order of the National Green Tribunal in the matter of Varun Vs Delhi Pollution Control Committee & Others dated 14/09/2020. The matter related to illegal operation of dyeing factories operating in the areas of Bawana, Narela, Mayapuri, Libaspur and Nangli Sakrawat of Delhi.
A report was filed by the Delhi Pollution Control Committee (DPCC) before the NGT on September 10, 2020 that informed the Tribunal that:
- around 79 premises/units engaged in the activity of dyeing and washing jeans were inspected in month of July, August and September 2020. Out of which 48 units found engaged in the activity of dyeing/washing of jeans and garments had valid consent and functional effluent treatment plant in the premises.
- One unit, out of 48 who was found non complaint in earlier inspection had deposited environmental damage compensation (EDC) of RS 12,40,000/- and DPCC has also granted Consent to operate to the said unit in Bawana Industrial area.
- 12 units were found operating without consent to operate and without functional effluent treatment plant, although these units have applied for getting Consent to Establish/operate. All these units have been effectively closed.
- Out of these 12 units, EDC to the tune of Rs 2,20,00,000/-has been imposed on 05 units.
- Against the remaining 07 units out of 12, Show Cause Notices for imposition of Environmental Compensation have been issued and proceedings are under progress.
- In the remaining 19 premises, out of 79 premises inspected, no industrial activity was observed during inspection since long, the report added.
The NGT disposed of the case taking into account the DPCC report and said that no further orders are necessary.