Progress report by the Uttar Pradesh Pollution Control Board
Progress report by the Uttar Pradesh Pollution Control Board (UPPCB) in Original Application NO. 985 of 2019 with OA No. 986 of 2019 (In Re Water Pollution by Tanneries at Jajmau, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh WITH In Re Water Pollution at Rania, Kanpur Dehat & Rakhi Mandi, Kanpur Nagar, Uttar Pradesh).
The Uttar Pradesh Pollution Control Board in its report to the National Green Tribunal (NGT), September 21, 2022 said that the committee constituted by the Chief Secretary, government of Uttar Pradesh vide letter dated May 26, 2022 has finalized the rate as Rs 11.583 per kilogram for scientific and safe disposal of chromium waste dumped at Khanchandpur, Rania, Kanpur Dehat through existing nearby TSDFs (Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facilities).
The total cost for the disposal of approximately 85008 MT chromium waste dumped at Khanchandpur is estimated as approximately Rs. 98,46,47,664. UPPCB has requested the state government for making provision of funds for this work vide letter dated September 13, 2022.
The state government has released the fund of Rs. 48.44 crore in the dedicated escrow account operated by the District Magistrate, Kanpur Dehat for the same. At present signing of MoU and placing the work order to both TSDF operators is in progress and thereafter lifting, treatment and scientific disposal of chromium waste is slated to begin from October 15, 2022 after the rainy season. This is to avoid leaching of chromium which may take place in groundwater and it will take atleast further six months, after start of work for complete disposal of dumped hazardous waste to TSDF.
At present the entire area is covered by polythene sheets.
The chromium dumps at Rania has been in existence since 1976 and have resulted in contamination of groundwater depriving the inhabitants of access to drinking water.
- Report filed by the Uttar Pradesh Pollution Control Board on steps to control dust pollution due to loading and unloading of trucks going to Khadia project, Sonbhadra, 04/03/2023
- Report of the Oversight Committee regarding non-compliance of Solid Waste Management Rules 2016 in Indirapuram, Vasundhara and Vaishali, Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, 21/02/2022
- Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding waste management in Indirapuram, Vasundhara and Vaishali, Uttar Pradesh, 15/04/2021
- Report by the CPCB on steps taken to curtail the threat of air pollution in the cities of India, 15/02/2021
- Oversight Committee, NGT, Uttar Pradesh report on steps taken to address air, noise and waste issues, Uttar Pradesh, 12/02/2021