Landscape of climate finance for agriculture, forestry, other land uses, and fisheries
Over the last decade, the agriculture, forestry, other land uses, and fisheries (AFOLU) sectors were responsible for 13-21% of global greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions (IPCC, 2022, IPCC AR6 WGIII, Chapter 7). More widely, food system-related emissions, represent 34% of total GHG emissions per year, primarily comprising agriculture production and land-use activities (71%), with the remainder (29%) originating from other supply chain activities (retail, transport, consumption, etc.) (Crippa et al., 2021). Due to their substantive contribution to GHG emissions, AFOLU sectors are uniquely positioned to deliver significant climate mitigation benefits in a relatively low-cost and quick manner. Against this setting, the rapid deployment of finance for climate mitigation in AFOLU is critical to help align with the 1.5°C Paris Agreement target. This brief report presents the preliminary findings of an ongoing larger study, aiming to provide a comprehensive analysis of the global climate finance flowing towards AFOLU. The complete study is planned for publication in Spring 2023, and will aim to provide a baseline for the current and past volumes of global climate finance targeting AFOLU.