Annual update on the global transition to electric vehicles: 2022
This briefing assesses the annual progress on the transition to electric vehicles (EVs) in 2022 at the global, regional, national, and state levels. Over 10 million EVs were sold worldwide in 2022, a milestone in the global transition to EVs. That was a 54% increase from 2021 and brought the cumulative number of EVs sold worldwide to 29 million. The global EV share of new vehicle sales also reached a record high of 13% in 2022, up from 8% in 2021. Light-duty vehicles (LDVs) were the vast majority of overall EV sales in 2022, 99%, and heavy-duty vehicles (HDVs) represented the remaining 1%. Battery electric vehicles comprised 73% of EV sales, plug-in hybrid electric vehicles were 27%, and fuel cell electric vehicles were 0.2% of global EV sales.